Date Added: 30 September 2011
: 10 October 2011
Job Title: Parliamentary Assistant
Working For: Gavin Barwell MP (Croydon Central)
Salary: In line with IPSA payscales
Gavin Barwell, Conservative Member of Parliament for Croydon Central, is seeking to appoint a Parliamentary Assistant to be based in Westminster. The ideal candidate will be highly organised and able to manage many competing priorities. They will be self-motivated, conscientious and be able to work well under pressure. Excellent writing and research skills are essential and previous experience working in Parliament or politics is desirable.
- Sole management of the Westminster office including:
- managing the Member’s Diary commitments, with overall control of Constituency commitments;
- ensuring the operation of the office is within the allocated budget and the Member is kept informed of all financial matters;
- ensuring a full range of secretarial and administrative support, including: telephone and visitor enquiries, responding to email and letters, efficient data and file management;
- overseeing the budget for the office including Expenditure under the MP’s Expenses Scheme, monitoring office expenditure, paying bills and invoices; providing forecast of spend and estimates when required; keeping records of all transactions; and
- ensuring the office is fully equipped and office supplies are maintained.
- Respond effectively, courteously and independently to routine correspondence and enquiries from constituents, the media, lobbyists and pressure groups.
- Undertake research, usually from secondary sources, on complex and difficult subjects.
- Analyse and evaluate research and interpret data ensuring key issues are identified.
- Prepare and present results both orally and in writing e.g. for parliamentary questions, briefing notes for committees, articles and press releases.
- Provide briefings and potential questions to the Member and motions to be put to the house.
- Monitor bills, Early Day Motions, legislation, Hansard, debates, etc.
- Monitor coverage in the media, and liaise with the media when necessary.
- Advise and guide the Member on policy issues.
- Maintain, update and develop knowledge of relevant legislation.
- Ensure records are kept, with details of each issue by adhering to the Data Protection Act principles and respect the confidentiality of data at all times.
- Communicate effectively with both internal and external contacts.
- Maintain parts of the website.
- Occasional travel to the constituency is required.
- Competent use of IT including Microsoft Office package, email and internet to: draft correspondence and reports; set up and maintain spreadsheets and undertake research.
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
Closing Date: 10 October 2011
Closing date: Monday 10th October 2011 at 12 noon.
Interviews are scheduled to take place at Westminster, Wednesday 12th October - Friday 14th October.
Start date: Monday 7th November 2011.
Please send an email with the subject line "Parliamentary Assistant application - YOURNAME" to email@example.com.
Please attach a brief covering letter and your CV.
Please note that due to the large number of applications we anticipate receiving, we are not able to acknowledge receipt of all applications. If you have not heard from us by Friday 14th October please assume that, regrettably, your application has been unsuccessful.