An opportunity has arisen to join Luciana and her busy team working as an intern. This full time paid role is based in our office in Westminster and will last between September and December 2012. It is an exciting opportunity to learn firsthand about the work that MPs do representing their constituents in Parliament.
This is a structured programme designed to develop a set of skills and experiences that will help the participant go onto employment within a political environment.
Working closely with and supporting Luciana and her team, you will develop skills in research and parliamentary procedure through involvement in a wide range of activities. This will include providing administrative support, drafting parliamentary questions and assisting with preparation for speeches and debates, as and when required. This will be a challenging role, designed to develop the following:
• Office administration skills.
• Knowledge of parliamentary offices and procedure.
• Expertise in managing a busy schedule.
• Skills in researching and analysing policy issues and legislation.
• Understanding of how MPs use Parliament to represent the concerns of their constituents, hold the Government to account and bring about change.
• How to communicate effectively and confidently with both internal and external contacts.
• Experience of working in a fast paced political environment.
Those selecting for this position will be looking for the following qualities in applicants:
• Excellent written and personal communication skills.
• Strong research ability.
• Interest in politics and Parliament.
• Excellent time management skills.
• Ability to work both independently and as a member of a staff team.
• Supportive of the aims and values of the Labour Party and the co-operative movement.
• Competent use of IT and Microsoft Office.
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See www.w4mp.org/html/msvo/main.asp for further info.