This is an excellent opportunity for anyone looking to gain experience in the charity sector and in particular work on migration and refugee issues, with a focus on communities. Employability Forum is an independent charity that seeks to help and promote refugees and migrants in general in the workplace, and runs Refugees into Schools, a pan-London integration project. Based in our London office, we have a distinct role which will encompass getting out and meeting London’s refugee communities in order to find out more about their employment and integration needs, and assisting the team here in providing services to match these needs.
Duties and tasks
- Visit and develop relationships with refugee community organisations across London, making them aware of Employability Forum and what we can offer them.
- Develop topic-specific mailing lists and communications to reach target audiences.
- Assist the planning, organisation and running of a conference and smaller events, seminars and focus groups.
- Assist the project officer in the running of our work placement programme for refugee teachers and accountants.
- Research into issues regarding migrant employment and integration across the UK.
- Provide general administrative support.
- Good interpersonal skills. You will be in direct contact with our refugee clients, schools, education consultants, and seminar speakers, in addition to working in a team, so this is a key attribute we are looking for.
- A willingness to show initiative and be creative.
- Competent IT skills, including MS Office.
- An understanding of migration and/or refugee issues is desirable. An interest is essential!
What you will get out of it
We make sure that our interns are well-supported and integrated into the staff team. As a result, you will get good experience working on a range of issues, and genuinely contributing to our organisation. You will get the chance to go to meetings and sector events when they come up, and build contacts within the sector.
At the outset we will sit down to agree on a set of objectives, which aim to develop your skills, follow your interests where possible, and ensure that you are clear of your role. Upon completion of the internship, we will carry out a full appraisal and provide a reference.