This role is to work with the Community Engagement Team to raise awareness of the work, history and aims of Battersea Dogs & Cats Home as well as educating members of the public of all ages about responsible pet ownership and safety around dogs and cats.
- Support the Community Engagement Team with its key educational work
- Support the team to deliver key educational messages in the community.
- Travel with the community engagement team members to a variety of institutions (including schools, colleges, clubs and other organisations) on behalf of Battersea Dogs & Cats Home.
- Attend Responsible Ownership events* to support members of the Community Engagement Team.
- Support the Community Engagement Team with office administration.
- Support the Community Engagement Team undertaking research, keeping records and writing short briefings.
- Respond to questions from members of the public about Battersea Dogs & Cats Home.
Minimum commitment of three months. The ideal candidate will be able to volunteer for 3-5 days per week, Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm. We will consider part and full-time volunteers.
- Empathy towards dogs, cats and people.
- Experience of and confidence in communicating with groups of people.
- Ability to learn and retain information about the Home and the care of dogs and cats.
- Confidence around dogs and cats, and experience of handling dogs and cats.
- Ability and willingness to travel to external venues.
- Basic computer skills and ability to use PowerPoint.
- Willingness to undergo a Criminal Records Bureau check (at no cost to you).
- Team working and professionalism.
Support and training provided:
- Induction to the work of Battersea Dogs & Cats Home (including a tour and introduction to staff and volunteers).
- A tool kit including information sheets and leaflets, scripts, presentations, props and films for both assembly and class room situations.
- Work shadowing experienced educational speakers.
- Support from other members of Battersea Dogs & Cats Home staff where necessary.
- Travel expenses.
This role will be primarily office based at our London site. External talks and events will be within an hour's travelling distance of the Home’s three sites in Battersea, Brands Hatch (Kent) and Old Windsor (Berkshire). (Please note the majority of events take place in the Greater London area).
You must be comfortable working around dogs, as there will be different dogs in the office each day!
The role being advertised is a voluntary one. As such, there are no set hours and responsibilities and you should be free to come and go as you wish. If the post demands set hours and/or has a specific job description you may be deemed to be a ‘worker’ and be covered by National Minimum Wage legislation. See http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/Employees/
TheNationalMinimumWage/index.htm for more information about National Minimum Wage.
In May 2012 the House of Commons Library revised their Standard Note ‘National Minimum Wage and Volunteers’ and it can be seen here: www.parliament.uk/briefing-papers/SN00697