Date Added: 18 October 2012
: 2 November 2012
Job Title: Parliamentary Assistant
Working For: Stella Creasy MP (Walthamstow)
Salary: £23-27,000 depending on experience and in line with IPSA payscales
An opportunity has arisen to join the staff of Stella Creasy, MP for Walthamstow. Working in both her constituency and in parliament, this wide ranging role involves supporting Stella’s advocacy, policy and engagement activities in both Walthamstow and Westminster. You would be joining a dynamic team committed to helping the MP in serving a vibrant corner of London, and acting on a wide range of policy issues as well as providing administrative support for Stella and other members of the team.
Duties will include:
- Providing policy, logistical and writing support to Stella's campaign work and responsibilities as a Shadow Spokesperson in Labour's Home Affairs team.
- Dealing with correspondence, telephone enquiries and emails and providing timely responses.
- Managing Stella’s busy diary and ensuring the MP has up-to-date detailed information about events and appointments.
- Organising and attending events as part of delivering Stella's policy and campaigns projects as required.
- Undertaking data entry, administration and database management as requested.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Ability to prioritise tasks, manage own workload and proven project management skills.
- Good IT skills – knowledge of CFL Caseworker software would be helpful.
- Good customer service skills - ability to deal with queries from all audiences in a helpful and sympathetic manner.
- Attention to detail and effective time management skills as well as experience of managing the diaries of others.
- Able to work well individually and as part of a team.
- Interest in, or prior experience of, community organising would be desirable.
- Knowledge of mid and late 90's indie music beneficial, but not necessary, as full training on this subject will be provided.
- You must be sympathetic with the aims and principles of the Labour Party.
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
Closing Date: 2 November 2012
Interviews will be held on Thursday 8 November 2012. Please ensure you are available on this day before applying. To start as soon as possible.
Please send your CV, a covering letter detailing your suitability for this role (no more than one side of A4) and an example of your writing (no more than 500 words) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications will only be accepted on the above email address and will be automatically discounted from those who attempt to contact the MP or her office through any other means. Please note the MP will not be involved in shortlisting and should not be contacted either. This office guarantees all applicants who abide by these requirements will receive feedback.