Date Added: 30 November 2012
: 17 December 2012
Job Title: Parliamentary Intern
Working For: Chi Onwurah MP (Newcastle upon Tyne Central)
Salary: London Living Wage (£8.55)
Chi Onwurah, MP for Newcastle upon Tyne Central and Shadow Minister for Innovation, Science, and Digital Infrastructure, is looking for a motivated and enthusiastic individual to join the team for 10 weeks as a paid intern in her busy Westminster office.
Applicants will need strong research and communication skills and will have a keen interest in Newcastle, local and national politics and a strong interest in science, technology and innovation.
Responsibilities will include:
- Assisting the Parliamentary Researcher.
- Carrying out research into policy issues.
- Working on local policy campaigns, in particular Chi’s Newcastle Housing campaign.
- Monitoring local and national issues.
- Supporting general office administration duties.
- A good knowledge of the political issues important to Newcastle
- A good understanding of science and innovation policy.
- IT skills are vital.
- A good understanding of current political issues.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Working knowledge of Labour Party policy.
- You should be sympathetic with the aims and principles of the Labour Party.
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
Closing Date: 17 December 2012
Interviews should be shortly after the closing date. Start date to be negotiated.
To apply, please submit a CV, short covering letter and one page (ie approx 500-700 words) on one of the following subjects to Mark Simmonds at firstname.lastname@example.org:
- What is the role for Government in business innovation?
- What action should Government take on payday lenders and why?
All applicants will receive acknowledgement of their application shortly after receipt and notification if they are not successful, provided that the task below is completed and attached. This will be as soon after the closing date as is practical.