Date Added: 23 May 2013
: 21 June 2013
Job Title: Media & Public Relations Officer
Working For: Derek Vaughan MEP (Wales)
Location: Cardiff or Wrexham
Salary: Competitive salary in line with European Parliamentary pay scales. Part-time (17.5hrs per week)
Length of Contract:
Working in a high profile, political environment the ideal candidate will be proactive, experienced and enthusiastic with a flexible approach to working hours and duties.
- To develop and deliver an increased public profile for the work of Derek Vaughan MEP across all media outlets, particularly those covering Wales.
- To gain media coverage for Derek’s work by identifying and targeting stories, helping to draft feature and comment articles, dealing with press enquiries, writing press releases and briefings.
- To monitor local, regional and national media and draft letters, press releases and other responses where appropriate.
- To maintain effective working relationships with Derek’s other staff members in the Cardiff, Wrexham, Brussels and Strasbourg offices as well as with the European Parliamentary Labour Party, Welsh Labour, elected representatives across Wales and prominent regional journalists.
- To manage and update Derek’s website, monitoring and developing his social and electronic media presence.
- Arranging events, visits and speaking opportunities, in co-operation with other colleagues.
- Excellent communication skills, written and verbal.
- The ability to work under pressure and to strict deadlines.
- Previous experience as a journalist or in a media/public relations environment.
- The ability to be proactive, work flexible hours when required and to think strategically and politically.
- Excellent computer skills including word processing, email, internet and website updating.
- An interest in Welsh, UK and European current affairs.
- Strong networking and interpersonal skills.
- Understanding of, and commitment to, Labour Party policies and membership.
- Experience of working in a political or similar environment.
- Understanding of the Welsh media environment and the Welsh political landscape.
- Knowledge of European institutions and political processes.
- Experience of working with a variety of new media.
- Ability to speak and write in the Welsh language.
Closing Date: 21 June 2013
Interviews: Cardiff – Friday, 5 July 2013.
Start Date: the successful candidate will be expected to start as soon as possible.
Applicants should send a CV and covering letter with the subject line “Derek Vaughan MEP – Media and Public Relations Officer Application” to email@example.com by 12 noon on Friday, 21 June 2013.
Further information can be obtained by contacting Derek’s office on 02920 227660 or via email: firstname.lastname@example.org.