Date Added: 15 July 2013
: 22 July 2013
Job Title: Caseworker
Working For: Barry Gardiner MP (Brent North)
Salary: In line with IPSA payscales with London weighting
Barry Gardiner MP is currently recruiting for a bright graduate to join his Westminster office as a Caseworker.
• Provide advice and support to constituents on a variety of issues through liaison with Government agencies, the voluntary sector and others to resolve matters.
• Provide information, advice and support for individuals on a range of issues, including immigration, visa and residence issues.
• Liaise with the appropriate Government agencies, the voluntary sector and others to resolve matters for constituents.
• Attend surgeries and other meetings to assist the Member in dealing with constituents’ issues.
• Deal with daily queries from members of the public by phone or in person, taking the appropriate initial action to resolve, document or escalate their concerns or enquiries.
• Manage own caseload and progress of casework, ensuring all cases are logged updated with any actions taken and outstanding queries are followed up, with urgent cases reported to the Member.
• Draft responses or respond to constituents on any issues raised on behalf of the Member.
• Maintain an up-to-date knowledge of relevant guidelines/legislation as appropriate in dealing with casework.
• Ensure cases are dealt with in a sensitive and confidential manner.
• Analyse patterns of enquiries and produce reports.
• Ensure records of contact with constituents are kept, with details of each case by adhering to the Data Protection Act principles and respect the confidentiality of data at all times.
• Assist with the work of other colleagues as required and communicate appropriately with internal and external contacts.
• Excellent written and oral skills.
• Excellent analytical and research skills.
• Excellent IT skills.
• Excellent inter-personal and communication skills.
• Ability to work to tight deadlines in a busy environment.
• Ability to identify priorities and work independently.
• Knowledge of legal principles, particularly with respect to visa and immigration matters.
• Sympathy with the aims of the Labour party.
• Degree in government/public policy or legal studies.
• Work experience in:
o Parliament/Civil Service/Legal Services; or
o an academic/scientific institution.
The position is open to UK and EU nationals. Barry Gardiner MP is an equal opportunity employer with a diverse workforce. We provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants without regard to gender, ethnic background, age, religion or sexual orientation.
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
Closing Date: 22 July 2013
Successful candidates will be expected to start immediately. Interviews will take place in the week beginning 22nd July 2013 and will include a written assessment.
Successful candidates will be employed on a fixed-term contract until 31/03/2014 to be renewed thereafter.
Please send Curriculum Vitae and 1-page Covering letter by email to email@example.com.
Candidates will be notified via email if they have been shortlisted for interview. Due to the high volume of expected applications, we regret we will only be able to provide feedback to candidates who have been shortlisted.