Date Added: 16 July 2013
: 26 July 2013
Job Title: Intern
Working For: Steve Reed OBE MP (Croydon North)
Salary: London Living Wage (£8.55 an hour) - 3 days per week (24 hrs)
Steve Reed OBE, MP for Croydon North is looking for a highly motivated and capable person to join his busy team for a paid internship for 3 days a week for 10-12 weeks (negotiable with the successful applicant) focussing on constituency engagement, communication and local campaigns, supporting Steve’s priorities within the constituency.
The successful applicant will get an excellent understanding of how an MP’s office operates and all the aspects of the work carried out by an MP’s staff. The position would be beneficial to anyone seeking experience in order to secure permanent paid employment in an MP’s office.
Applicants do not need any prior experience in an MP’s office or political environment, although sympathy with the aims and values of the Labour party is desirable.
Responsibilities will include:
• Supporting the running of local campaigns being led by or supported by Steve.
• Supporting the constituency assistant in proactive engagement with local residents and community groups.
• Supporting all other office functions as necessary.
Skills and competencies:
• Self-motivated, confident and enthusiastic.
• Fully computer literate with strong literacy and numeracy skills.
• Strong organisational skills.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Able to work independently within a team.
• A good understanding of the political situation in Croydon and Steve’s priorities within the constituency.
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
Closing Date: 26 July 2013
The closing date for applications is noon on Friday 26th July.
Short listing will take place on the afternoon of Friday 26th July with interviews taking place on either Monday 29th or Tuesday 30th July. The start date will be Monday 5th August or as soon as practically possible after that.
To apply please submit a CV and a short covering letter, neither of which should be longer than one side of A4, to Matthew Bennett at firstname.lastname@example.org.
All applications will be acknowledged but we will only be able to inform the successful candidates if they have been shortlisted due to the anticipated volume of applications.