Date Added: 8 August 2013
: 9 September 2013
Job Title: Parliamentary Intern
Working For: Paul Murphy MP (Torfaen)
Salary: At least London Living Wage (£8.55 per hour) plus reasonable expenses. Working hours flexible - ideally 4 days per week.
We are looking for a Parliamentary Intern to help our office in Portcullis House, Westminster. This is a great first opportunity for someone looking to start out in Westminster, and will give you a fine introduction to the range of work done in an MP's office and the skills you need to succeed in that environment.
You will work with Paul’s team of staff in London and Pontypool to help him discharge his Parliamentary duties, whist gaining from experience and training which will be useful for your future career. Although there may be some administrative work to assist with, we will make every effort to ensure that your work for us is as interesting and diverse as possible.
We recognise that as your internship progresses, you are likely to be looking for more permanent employment within the world of politics. We will support and encourage you in this, and are happy to provide advice about applications and time off for interviews. We will strive to provide feedback during and after your period of employment with us.
Your internship will run as per the Unite the Union model agreement between Members of Parliament and interns.
You will need to demonstrate:
- A commitment to the aims and values of the Labour Party.
- Enthusiasm and a willingness to learn.
- Good communication skills, including the ability to write coherently and succinctly.
- The ability to prioritise tasks and work independently.
- Understanding of the world of Parliament, politics and current affairs.
- Political sensitivity and awareness when dealing with delicate or confidential issues.
- Good interpersonal skills, including the ability to work in a team and to communicate appropriately with constituents.
This is a 3 month fixed-term internship.
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
Closing Date: 9 September 2013
Interviews anticipated during weeks beginning 16th or 23rd September, for an ideal start date at the beginning of October.
Please apply to Anthony Hunt at email@example.com, attaching your CV and including a brief covering letter explaining why you wish to apply for this position.