Date Added: 9 August 2013
: 18 September 2013
Job Title: Parliamentary Secretary
Working For: Rushanara Ali MP (Bethnal Green and Bow)
Salary: £18,000 - £20,000
Rushanara Ali MP for Bethnal Green & Bow and Shadow Minister for International Development is looking to recruit a Parliamentary Secretary to work in her Westminster Office. The main focus of the role will be managing Rushanara’s diary, providing research and administrative support as well as supporting the smooth running of the office.
This role would suit someone who is highly motivated, dynamic and organised with excellent written and oral communication skills. An understanding of Parliament, managing a busy diary and demonstrable political awareness are essential.
This role would involve working with a small team in the Westminster and Bethnal Green and Bow offices and include the following tasks:
- Managing the Member’s diary commitments;
- Preparing briefings ahead of meetings and events;
- Managing correspondence in the Westminster office;
- Accompanying the Member to meetings as required;
- Assisting with media including draft press releases and responding to press queries;
- Dealing with incoming telephone and visitor enquiries, as well as responding to emails and letters;
- Efficient data and file management;
- Opening and dispatching mail;
- Managing an up-to-date database of all contacts including constituency, parliamentary and shadow ministerial contacts;
- Dealing with any external suppliers, orders and enquiries;
- When necessary, assisting with research for parliamentary, constituency and shadow ministerial responsibilities.
- Strong organisational skills;
- Attention to detail;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Excellent administrative and IT skills;
- Excellent research skills;
- Ability to prioritise and work to tight deadlines;
- Knowledge of parliamentary procedure;
- Demonstrable political awareness;
- Knowledge of the constituency would be an advantage;
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team;
- Enthusiastic and willing to carry out day-to-day tasks;
- An interest in current affairs and a commitment to the aims and values of the Labour Party.
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
Closing Date: 18 September 2013
Interviews to take place at the end of September.
Successful candidate to start as soon as possible after appointment has been made.
Please send your CV (max 2 pages) and cover letter (max 1 page) to email@example.com with 'Job Application - Parliamentary Secretary' in the subject field.