Date Added: 13 August 2013
: 30 August 2013
Job Title: Parliamentary Assistant
Working For: Vernon Coaker MP (Gedling)
Salary: In line with IPSA pay scales
Assisting the Member in his Parliamentary duties and Shadow Cabinet role
- General administration tasks including monitoring and responding to emails and phone calls, drafting letters, compiling databases, typing, filing.
- Managing the Member’s diary and travel.
- Accompany the Member to meetings and events as required.
- Communicate effectively with both internal and external contacts.
- Monitor relevant parliamentary activity: business, legislation, motions, debates and questions, and act upon this where appropriate.
- Monitor media for any issues relating to the Member’s work, Shadow Cabinet responsibilities and areas of interest.
- Research and prepare accurate briefing notes on relevant policy issues, often to tight deadlines.
- Develop and maintain knowledge in specialist areas as required by the Member.
- Liaise closely with colleagues in the Gedling constituency office to support the Member’s constituency work.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Excellent research, analytical and communication skills, with keen attention to detail.
- Ability to work independently and on own initiative, as well as part of a small team.
- Excellent IT skills including proficient use of Microsoft Office, eg word and outlook; and excel spread sheets.
- Ability to prioritise workload in a busy environment and meet deadlines.
- Ability to liaise effectively with Members of Parliament, constituents, external organisations and individuals.
- Attention to detail and excellent time management.
- Ability to remain discreet and maintain confidentiality at all times.
- Sympathetic to the aims of the Labour Party.
- Parliamentary experience is an advantage.
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
Closing Date: 30 August 2013
Interviews will take place week commencing Monday 2 September. Start date to be agreed with successful candidate.
Please email a CV with covering letter to email@example.com.