Date Added: 20 August 2013
: 3 September 2013
Job Title: Paid Internship
Working For: Gareth Thomas MP (Harrow West)
Salary: London living wage (£8.55 per hour) (3 days per week for 3 months)
An opportunity has arisen for an intern to join Gareth Thomas MP and his team to work for three months in both the Westminster and Harrow offices. This position is a paid part-time role (3 days per week).
Responsibilities will include:
- Assisting the Parliamentary Researcher and Caseworkers.
- Carrying out research into national policy issues.
- Drafting correspondence to constituents and outside bodies.
- Assisting with casework.
- Working on local policy campaigns.
- Drafting press releases and assisting with online campaigning.
We will be looking for the following qualities in applicants:
- Supportive of the aims and values of the Labour Party.
- A good knowledge of the political issues important to Harrow.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Strong IT skills.
- Strong research ability.
- Interest in politics and Parliament.
- Excellent time management skills.
- Ability to work both independently and as a member of a staff team.
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
Closing Date: 3 September 2013
Closing date: 9am Tuesday 3rd September.
Interview and start date to be confirmed.
To apply for the position please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with your CV, a covering letter and an article of no more than 500 words on the living standards crisis.