Date Added: 17 September 2013
: 4 October 2013
Job Title: Research & Communications Assistant
Working For: Global Labour Institute
Location: Central Manchester
Salary: £19,000 - £25,000
The Global Labour Institute is a not-for-profit organisation, working closely with a range of global union federations, national trade unions, research institutions and workers’ education organisations.
We develop and encourage education, capacity-building and research on international labour movement development, gender policy and organising strategies. We have specialist international experience in political education, organisation and trade union policy with informal economy workers, union capacity-building, and the design and management of international workers’ education programmes.
We are seeking to recruit a bright and enthusiastic graduate research and communications assistant to support the GLI’s expanding activities, including education courses for trade unionists on international organising and labour issues, international education programme management, and our annual international summer school. The work will include:
• Research and preparation of educational materials and presentations on a range of international issues, including transnational corporate strategy, patterns and trends in employment, trade union political and organising strategies, and labour history
• Responding to enquiries and research requests from trade union partner organisations
• Supporting project management and communications
• Development of GLI’s web site, social media and online learning provision
• Provide support to GLI interns and student placements
• Day-to-day administrative support in the office and events management
You should be well-organised, have good communications skills, both in writing and in spoken English, have good skills in IT, communications and social media, have a good understanding of the principles and objectives of the trade union movement, and an appreciation of the political foundations of the GLI and its partner organisations.
GLI UK is small team, supported by a range of trade union organisations in the UK and overseas, and works closely with partner GLI Network organisations in Geneva, New York, Moscow and Athens.
The post is full-time, on a one-year contract (renewable). Proposals for part-time work (minimum 21 hours per week) would also be considered.
Closing Date: 4 October 2013
Interviews will be held in Manchester on Monday 14 October.
Please send your CV and a covering letter setting out your interest and suitability for the position to email@example.com.