Date Added: 24 September 2013
: 10 October 2013
Job Title: Caseworker
Working For: Gisela Stuart MP (Birmingham, Edgbaston)
Location: Birmingham Constituency Office
Salary: In line with IPSA pay scales, depending on experience (24 hrs per week)
Length of Contract:
Deal with daily queries from members of the public by phone, in person, email or letter, taking the appropriate initial action to resolve, document or escalate their concerns or enquiries and, if necessary, track progress.
- Competent use of IT including casework management systems, Microsoft Office package, email, internet.
- Gather relevant information from constituents in order to progress or close the case.
- Ensure records of contact with constituents are kept, with details of each case by adhering to the Data Protection Act principles and respect the confidentiality of data at all times.
- Ensuring all cases are logged updated with any actions taken and outstanding queries are followed up, with urgent cases reported to the Senior Caseworker.
- Draft casework letters on any issues raised on behalf of the Member in line with agreed standards.
- Ability to communicate appropriately with internal and external contacts.
- Maintain an up-to-date knowledge of relevant guidelines/legislation as appropriate in dealing with casework.
- Organise and assist with surgeries to assist the Member in dealing with constituents’ issues.
Person Specification and Experience
- Tactful and sensitive in dealing with constituent enquiries with an ability to prioritise.
- Systematic and organised.
- Able to work as part of a team while being able to work on own initiative.
- Good standard of English.
- Previous experience as a caseworker desirable, but not essential, either in an MP's office or an advisory service such as the CAB.
This is a part-time position covering 3 days.
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
Closing Date: 10 October 2013
Start date ASAP.
CV and covering letter to: Gisela Stuart MP, House of Commons, SW1A 0AA or email to firstname.lastname@example.org.