Date Added: 30 September 2013
: 11 October 2013
Job Title: Parliamentary Assistant/Researcher
Working For: Barbara Keeley MP (Worsley and Eccles South)
Salary: In line with IPSA payscales
Length of Contract:
Barbara Keeley MP is looking for a Parliamentary Assistant/Researcher to join her busy staff team. This is a full-time post based in Westminster. The successful candidate will ideally have 12 months' experience working in Parliament or in a similar role.
The main responsibilities of the job are: writing press releases and researching material for and drafting speeches and speaking notes. The work will also include supporting Barbara in her work on the Health Select Committee and on the All-Party Groups on Social Care and Women’s Sport and Fitness.
- Writing regular press releases and articles for national and local media. Monitoring coverage and relevant issues in the media and liaising with the media.
- Drafting speeches, speaking notes and briefings on a range of issues related to Barbara’s work.
- Undertake research thoroughly and accurately.
- Assist Barbara with tasks related to her work on the Health Select Committee and on the APPGs on Social Care and Women’s Sport and Fitness.
- Help draft Parliamentary Questions for Barbara.
- Maintain, update and develop knowledge of relevant legislation.
- Develop knowledge in specialist areas as required.
- Communicate effectively with both internal and external contacts.
- Other tasks as required.
- Knowledge of legislation and issues in Health and Social Care. Interest in Women’s Sport and Fitness.
- At least 6 months' and preferably 12 months' experience working in Parliament as a Parliamentary Assistant/Researcher.
- Good communication skills – must have experience of drafting speeches, press releases and articles.
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a staff team.
- Supportive of the values of the Labour Party.
- Educated to degree level.
- Competent use of IT.
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
Closing Date: 11 October 2013
Interviews will be held in Westminster on Friday 18th October.
Start date as soon as possible.
To apply for the position, please request an application form from firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please complete the application form and send together with a copy of a speech you have previously drafted together with a note explaining how and when the speech was used. These materials should be emailed to email@example.com.