Date Added: 22 May 2015
: 1 June 2015
Job Title: Senior Researcher
Working For: European Research Group (a group of Conservative MPs)
The European Research Group (ERG) is a group of Conservative MPs chaired by Chris Heaton-Harris MP. The Group is looking to employ a researcher, to be based in the House of Commons, who will specialise in European matters and brief ERG members in this area.
The new member of staff will join at an exciting time, with the Conservative Government pledging to renegotiate the UK’s terms of EU membership and hold a referendum on whether we should stay in the EU on the basis of the agreement reached. There will also be legislation to replace the Human Rights Act with a British Bill of Rights and Responsibilities, coupled with moves to ensure the European Court of Human Rights cannot frustrate the new Bill.
Responsibilities of the role include:
• Analysing key pieces of legislation, court rulings and policies related to the EU or ECHR
• Analysing major developments in European political affairs, mainly as they affect the UK’s relationship with the EU or ECHR
• Briefing ERG members on the above, and briefing them for other important Europe-related debates in the House of Commons
• Assisting ERG members with Parliamentary work on European matters as requested
• Organising ERG meetings
Characteristics/skills we are looking for:
• Excellent analytical ability
• Excellent communication skills, particularly in writing
• Ability to motivate oneself, as will often be working on one’s own – though will also need to work with various MPs and their staff as the need arises
• Ability to deliver to tight deadlines when these apply
• Strong political awareness
• At least some prior knowledge of the European Union and the UK’s relationship with it (prior knowledge of the European Convention on Human Rights and UK-ECHR relationship would also be an advantage)
• Sympathy with the aims of changing the UK’s relationship with the EU and ECHR to minimise European interference with British Parliamentary democracy
This role will give the successful candidate a fantastic opportunity to work with numerous MPs on a matter of great national importance at a defining point in time. You would have the opportunity to make a real difference.
Closing Date: 1 June 2015
As soon as possible. Please apply as soon as possible as we may recruit before the closing date.
Please send your CV and one-page covering letter explaining how you meet the requirements for this role to firstname.lastname@example.org.