Date Added: 8 January 2017
: 4 February 2017
Job Title: Parliamentary Assistant/Senior Parliamentary Assistant
Working For: Dr James Davies MP (Vale of Clwyd)
Salary: In line with IPSA payscales
Dr James Davies MP is looking to recruit a hardworking and dedicated Parliamentary Assistant or Senior Parliamentary Assistant on a full-time basis in his Westminster office. The successful applicant will be proactive, demonstrate good communication skills and have an exceptional eye for detail.
The ability to be able to work independently and to self-motivate will be essential. The ideal candidate will also be a strong team player who can work collaboratively with constituency-based colleagues in a varied and flexible way. He/she must have a sound political judgement and be sympathetic to the aims and values of the Conservative Party.
· Manage Member's busy diary; arrange meetings and room bookings and liaise with Parliamentary authorities
· Oversee efficient office and email administration
· Manage and monitor incoming calls and enquiries and deal with queries on the Member's behalf
· Attend occasional meetings alongside or in place of the Member
· Complete expenses information via IPSA system
· Draft high quality correspondence, including letters, emails, press releases, Parliamentary Questions and occasional articles for publication
· Monitor Parliamentary business and forthcoming issues and media coverage that is of relevance to the MP's interests
· Undertake research on subjects to include local, national and international issues and assist with speechwriting
· Book and conduct tours of the Houses of Parliament for constituents
· Ensure data and file management is efficient and complies with Data Protection Act
· Strong communication and literacy skills
· Excellent attention to detail
· Ability to work effectively under pressure and to strict deadlines
· Knowledge of Parliament, UK politics and government policy, with basic understading of Welsh devolution preferable
· IT literacy
· Ability to both work independently and within a small team
· Previous Parliamentary experience is an advantage, but not essential
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
Closing Date: 4 February 2017
Interviews will take place at Westminster and candidates may be required to undertake further tasks.
Start date preferably around 10th February 2017.
Please note that appointment may take place before the application closing date.
Please send a CV and a covering letter demonstrating your experience and suitability for the role to firstname.lastname@example.org.