Date Added: 18 January 2017
: 18 February 2017
Job Title: Deputy Editor
Working For: CapX
CapX, the leading commentary and analysis website, is recruiting for a Deputy Editor.
Their job will be to work with the Editor and Executive Editor to oversee CapX’s day-to-day output – to commission exclusive articles, highlight the most interesting pieces from around the world, and assume primary responsibility for our popular email newsletter.
Based at the Centre for Policy Studies in Westminster, CapX’s mission is to publish and promote the best thinking and writing on policy, economics, technology, markets and ideas. The site’s animating ideal is to make the case for “popular capitalism” – to identify and promote the kind of policies that can deliver genuine mass prosperity. So while applicants do not need to be politically active, they should have a basic knowledge of free-market thinking, the centre-right policy community and Conservative politics more broadly.
Given that we are a small team, there is an opportunity for the successful candidate to become involved in many aspects of CapX’s work, and to contribute to charting the organisation’s direction.
Skills and experience
- Significant experience of commissioning and editing copy to a high standard, for a national or specialised audience
- Strong writing skills
- A passion for news and politics, both domestic and international
- A good understanding of economics and policy ideas
- Experience with promoting pieces and building audience via social media
- Compelling ideas for how CapX can better serve its readers
- Skill with graphics and design, and/or at least a basic understanding of Photoshop
- Experience with online content production, esp Wordpress
- Forensic attention to detail
- Great ideas about potential writers, ideas, and topics
- Experience of working across digital media formats
- Engaged and enthusiastic team member
We offer a competitive salary as well as other benefits. The position will ideally be full-time, based in our Westminster offices, for an initial period of six months.
Closing Date: 18 February 2017
The position will be open from mid-February, although we understand that some candidates may need a longer notice period. We may appoint before then if an exceptionally qualified candidate applies.
To apply, or for more information, please contact email@example.com. If applying, please send a CV, a sample of your writing (or editorial credentials), plus a cover letter explaining why you are interested in the job, what you think of CapX and why you think you would be particularly suited to the role.