Date Added: 27 January 2017
: 19 February 2017
Job Title: Researcher (Social Integration)
Working For: British Academy
Salary: Day rate to be agreed with successful candidate (part-time)
The British Academy is looking to hire a Researcher (applications from post doc researchers or PhD candidates would be welcomed) to support a recently launched policy project Social Integration.
About the project
The Academy has launched "If you could do one thing..." Local actions to promote social cohesion, which aims to offer practical interventions for local authorities, businesses and voluntary organisations to improve social cohesion in their communities. The project is designed to offer realistic solutions, whilst understanding the constraints imposed in a current climate of low resources within Local Authorities. The project will be supported by a call for evidence, and will be accompanied by a set of case studies on the integration experiences of recently arrived migrants, supported with funding from the Paul Hamlyn Foundation.
We are looking to hire a researcher on a short-term basis to produce analysis and summaries, and to produce case studies of locally-based interventions which aim to assist the integration of recently-arrived migrants, both children and adults.
- Conducting preliminary desk-based research on social integration towards a literature review
- Analysing written evidence submissions from a call for evidence as part of the preliminary desk-based research, and summarising key findings in a summary paper/literature review
- Gathering a selection of case studies on the integration experiences of recently arrived migrants by conducting phone/in-person interviews, as well as observational analysis, to inform the case studies
- Working with the British Academy policy team and the project’s expert working group to finalise the case study report in a consistent style and language
About the candidate
- Research experience including fieldwork
- Good knowledge of migration and integration issues would be helpful
- Good knowledge of a variety of research methodologies, including mixed methods, and ability to apply these in small scale research projects
- Excellent writing and analysis skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability to work to tight deadlines and to manage own workload
About the role
The Researcher will be based at the British Academy (10-11 Carlton House Terrace, London SW1Y 5AH) 2-3 days a week for up to 4 months.
Please see endnote here for more information about the case studies: http://www.britac.ac.uk/researcher-social-integration.
Closing Date: 19 February 2017
The deadline for applications is midnight.
Interviews will take place on the week of the 27th February.
The start date is as soon as possible thereafter.
Please send a CV, cover letter and one example of written work to Jamiesha Majevadia email@example.com.
If you have not heard from us by Monday 27th February, please assume you have not been selected for interview.