Contract type: 5 months - fixed-term, March - August.
Would you like to use your skills in public affairs to support the UK’s largest charity for gardeners and horticulture? The RHS is seeking a temporary experienced Public Affairs Officer from March to August 2017 to support the charity’s public affairs strategy in the Communications Team.
Working with the Public Affairs Manager you’ll be supporting the delivery a range of high profile visits to RHS Shows, including the Chelsea Flower Show throughout the summer. You’ll also be supporting the work of the Ornamental Horticulture Roundtable Group and engagement with the All Party Parliamentary Group for Gardening and Horticulture.
For more than 210 years the Royal Horticultural Society has been the force behind the nation’s gardening. Our charitable purpose is to inspire passion and excellence in the science, art and practice for horticulture. Our vision is to enrich everyone’s life through plants, and make the UK a greener and more beautiful place.
Overview of the Role
- To work with the Public Affairs Manager to support UK political and parliamentary engagement.
- Maintaining an overview of relevant parliamentary activity and policy that impacts the horticulture industry.
- Building relationships with supporters in Westminster.
- Delivering events administration, drafting agendas and minutes, supporting the team to prepare briefing material for internal and external stakeholders.
- Building opportunities for the RHS to raise the profile of the horticulture industry and its campaigns; Greening Grey Britain, Britain in Bloom and Campaign for School Gardening.
We are looking for someone with excellent written and oral communication skills with the confidence to deal with people at all levels of seniority.
You will be educated to degree level or equivalent and possess relevant experience in a similar role, in Westminster, agency or in-house.
You’ll have knowledge of UK Parliamentary processes, experience in events management and understand the range of communication tools to build support with a wide range of internal and external stakeholders.
You must be highly organised, conscientious and professional with outstanding attention to detail.