Date Added: 3 April 2017
: 21 April 2017
Job Title: Senior Parliamentary Assistant
Working For: Rehman Chishti MP (Gillingham and Rainham)
Salary: In line with IPSA guidlines
Rehman Chishti MP is looking for a hard-working and motivated Senior Parliamentary Assistant to join his office in Westminster.
The successful applicant will assist Rehman in all areas of research including areas ranging from Security, Foreign Policy, Communities, Home Affairs, Justice.
The position would suit a highly organised person, ideally educated to graduate level, with attention to detail and common sense. Excellent proven research skills with ability to draft correspondence, speeches, write articles, deal with media and brief Member prior to interviews, analytical, numerical, written and IT skills are essential. Knowledge of Parliament and parliamentary procedure, is advantageous but not essential. Experience outside of Parliament is also valued.
Main duties include:
• Undertake research on complex and difficult subjects.
• Analyse and evaluate research and interpret data ensuring key issues are identified.
• Prepare and present results both orally and in writing, eg for parliamentary questions, briefing notes for policy papers, articles and press releases.
• Provide briefings and potential questions to the Member and motions to be put to the house.
• Monitor bills, Early Day Motions, legislation, Hansard, debates, etc.
• Monitor coverage in the media, and liaise with the media.
• Advise and guide the Member on policy issues.
• Assisting with communications, the Member's website and social media; assisting with the production of newsletters and leaflets.
• Provide support to constituency caseworker on policy issues.
• Maintain, update and develop knowledge of relevant legislation.
• Ensure records are kept, with details of each issue by adhering to the Data Protection Act principles and respect the confidentiality of data at all times.
• Communicate effectively with internal and external contacts.
• Competent use of IT including Microsoft Office package, email and internet to draft correspondence and reports; set up and maintain spreadsheets and undertake research.
Candidates should have the following skills and qualities:
• Excellent communication and administrative skills
• Literate in Microsoft Office software, including MS Outlook, MS Word and MS Excel.
• Ability to manage and prioritise own workload with minimum supervision.
• Excellent team working ethic.
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
Closing Date: 21 April 2017
An appointment may be made before the closing date if a suitable candidate is found.
Interviews likely to be held w/c 1 May. The successful candidate would be expected to start soon after the interview date but there is flexibility.
Please send CV and one page covering letter outlining your relevant experience and suitability for the role to Mrs Nusrat Ahmed, email@example.com quoting "Senior Parliamentary Assistant" in subject line.
Please note that, due to the large number of applications that we receive, we are not able to acknowledge receipt of all applications. If you have not heard from us by the 28 April please assume that, regrettably, your application has been unsuccessful this time.