Date Added: 5 April 2017
: 5 May 2017
Job Title: Research Intern
Working For: Inter Mediate
Salary: £20,500 pro rata
Inter Mediate is a London-based charity set up to promote dialogue between governments and insurgent groups with a view to reducing violent conflict and helping engender lasting peace agreements. Inter Mediate was set up by a group of the world's foremost negotiators and mediators. It is focused on tackling some of the most complex and entrenched conflicts across the globe.
This role offers an exciting opportunity to work with an organisation that is at the front-edge of practical conflict resolution work. This is an excellent opportunity for a talented graduate interested in international affairs and conflict resolution to be part of a small, committed and professional team. Applicants must be enthusiastic and have excellent research, writing and organisational skills. S/he should have a proven interest in international affairs, and preferably conflict resolution and/or mediation work.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
The Research Intern provides support to members of the Inter Mediate in the following areas:
• Assisting the team with research on existing and potential new Inter Mediate projects;
• Assisting with contact and information management;
• Assisting with drafting letters and briefings;
• Providing general logistical/organisational support to the team as required.
Qualifications and Experience Required
• BA (or MA) in politics, international relations, history, development or other relevant degree;
• Demonstrable affinity with Inter Mediate’s objectives;
• Excellent written and spoken English;
• Excellent research skills;
• Accuracy and an eye for detail;
• Well-organised and efficient;
• Good team player;
• Flexible and keen to learn new skills.
• International relations, politics, history or social science-related intern/work experience;
• A second language.
Eligibility Criteria and Terms
• UK or EU university graduates and post-graduate students are welcome to apply;
• Non-EU candidates must present a visa that permits them to work in the UK;
• This internship is offered on a full-time work basis (five days a week).
Closing Date: 5 May 2017
We are recruiting for 2 x 6-month placements. Each limited to one 6 month placement.
(1) 1st June to 30th November 2017;
(2) 1st December 2017 to 30th May 2018.
Some flexibility on both dates and duration is possible.
Interviews: week beginning 15th May 2017.
Please read the job description above and send a two page CV, with a one page cover letter explaining why you meet the criteria, and a writing sample (500 words) to: firstname.lastname@example.org clearly stating "Research Intern Application" in the subject line. Please specify whether you are applying only for one of the dates available, or whether you are in principle available for both.
NOTE: Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. No phone calls please.