Date Added: 11 April 2017
: 21 April 2017
Job Title: Parliamentary Assistant
Working For: Yvette Cooper MP (Normanton, Pontefract and Castleford)
Salary: According to experience in line with IPSA pay scales
Yvette Cooper is looking for a Parliamentary Assistant to manage her House of Commons office. Duties include planning and managing a busy diary, organising events, meetings, stakeholder relationships, parliamentary briefings and assisting with constituency responsibilities.
- Strategic planning and daily management of member’s diary
- Liaise with constituency office staff to ensure strong links between constituency & Westminster
- Liaise with Parliamentary clerks to coordinate Yvette's Home Affairs Select Committee work
- Co-ordinate priorities, run and manage Westminster Office
- Organise meetings and events
- Prepare briefings on wide range of issues, local and national
- Building and maintain stakeholder relationships in line with aims and objectives
- Preparing and editing correspondence, communications, presentations and other documents
- Communicate effectively with both internal and external contacts
- Operation of elements of IPSA budgeting
- Keep track of debates and developments in the House of Commons for Yvette to be involved in
- Attend briefings, policy seminars and events as required
- Self-starter with the ability to work unsupervised and to manage and prioritise a challenging workload
- Strong organisational skills
- Awareness and understanding of current political issues
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong political sensitivity and ability to use initiative when appropriate
- Ability to think analytically
- Good relationship builder who can build and retain relationships with wide range of people
- Excellent administrative skills
- Knowledge and experience of campaigning
- Understanding of constituency relationship
- Understanding of parliamentary procedure
- Ability to start immediately an advantage
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
Closing Date: 21 April 2017
Interviews will be held in the last week of April (date to be confirmed) and a start date agreed with the successful candidate but preferably by the end of May 2017.
If you have questions and queries, contact Jade Botterill at email@example.com.
To apply, please send a copy of your CV and a cover letter (no more than one side of A4) to firstname.lastname@example.org.