Date Added: 1 August 2017
: 18 August 2017
Job Title: Political Chief of Staff
Working For: George Freeman MP (Mid Norfolk)
Salary: In line with IPSA pay scales
George Freeman MP is seeking a Political Chief of Staff for his Westminster office to help co-ordinate GF's post-election work on Conservative Renewal, the Conservative Ideas Festival, and the development of a NewGeneration Conservative Policy Programme George is overseeing as Chair of the Prime Minister’s Policy Board and of the Conservative Policy Forum (CPF).
In addition to being the co-ordinating link between GF and the other members of the Parliamentary office, the role will involve working closely with GF on the development of both policy and political strategy, co-ordinating various projects within the renewal programme, liaison with multiple external social, economic and political reformers, handling of all GF media and comms and Think Tank liaison.
Applicants will need to have experience of working in this role for a senior political figure in the UK before, ideally in Westminster or Whitehall, and be familiar with the rhythms and cycles of the Parliamentary year and be able to work at pace, co-ordinate multiple worksteams, enjoy drafting and editing (speeches, articles, policy and project plans) and help identify and respond to opportunities.
In essence this role is about helping shape, plan, co-ordinate and project manage the 2-3 year programme of political renewal and reform that GF has committed to help lead. Experience of the internal workings of Parliament useful but not essential.
The successful candidate will have the following skills and attributes:
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills.
- Proven ability to work successfully and happily in teams and at times solo
- A highly organised manner with the ability to manage and prioritise a large and diverse workload.
- The ability to work to tight deadlines calmly and while under pressure.
- Personal initiative, commitment and a strong, pro-active work ethic.
- Comfortable working individually and as part of a team.
- Strong attention to detail and analytical skills.
- Adept at using Microsoft Office, social media platforms and digital comms.
- Support for the values, aims and mission of George Freeman as the Conservative MP for Mid Norfolk and co-ordinator of grassroots Conservative renewal.
- Hours: Full-time (42 hours weekly contacted) with usual Parliamentary flexibility.
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
Closing Date: 18 August 2017
Interviews will start shortly after the closing date.
The role is available full-time (42 hours weekly contracted) from October - ideally starting straight after the Ideas Festival and Party Conference. However, if the right candidate is available, there is some flexibility to start earlier.
Applicants should email a Cover Letter and CV to email@example.com, with a description of their current and past roles and interest in this position.