Date Added: 9 August 2017
: 25 August 2017
Job Title: Parliamentary Assistant
Working For: Christine Jardine MP (Edinburgh West)
Location: Edinburgh although some travel to London
Salary: £20,420 - £31,111 PA dependent on experience
Length of Contract:
We are seeking a talented and highly motivated individual to join the newly established office of Christine Jardine MP as a Parliamentary Assistant. This is an exciting opportunity based in the constituency and will require some travel to London. The successful candidate will be someone who enjoys the challenges and flexibility of working in a small team, be organised and have a strong desire to help constituents. Some evening and weekend work will be required which time off in lieu will be given.
KEY SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES
- Knowledge and understanding of the British and Scottish political scene (Essential)
- Knowledge and understanding of issues affecting the local community (Essential)
- Demonstrable interpersonal skills with the ability to identify and take forward issues on behalf of constituents (Essential)
- Flexible approach to working with the ability to work on their own initiative within a small local constituency office (Essential)
- High Standard of administrative skills with a demonstrable working knowledge of Microsoft Office applications, such as Word, Excel, Access and Outlook (Essential)
- Proven communication skills, both written and verbal with a polite, pleasant and confident telephone manner and be able to deal with constituents and outside bodies in a confidential manner (Essential)
- Experience of dealing with sensitive issues and respecting the need for confidentiality (Essential)
- Strong organisational skills (Essential)
- Experience in dealing with Casework (Desirable)
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
Closing Date: 25 August 2017
Interviews will be held at the constituency office in Edinburgh on Thursday 31 August with a view to starting ASAP.
To apply, send a copy of your CV, along with a single page supporting statement demonstrating how you meet the requirements set out above to: email@example.com.
If you have any queries, please telephone Jenny Stewart (Head of Office) on 07856873337.