Date Added: 6 October 2017
: 23 October 2017
Job Title: Assistant Director
Working For: Academy of Social Sciences
Salary: £36,000 pro rata (4-5 days per week)
The Academy of Social Sciences is the national academy of academics, learned societies and practitioners in the social sciences. It sponsors the Campaign for Social Science, which campaigns in public, press and parliaments for policies supporting UK social science inquiry.
This is an exciting, varied role working at the very heart of the Academy, responsible for day-to-day management and long term operational planning. You will lead and manage comms, income generation and engagement operations. You will form an important part of the Senior Management Team alongside the Executive Director, Assistant Director [Secretariat] and Head of Policy.
Working with the Campaign Board and Academy Council, you will engage with stakeholders across senior levels of academia, government and the third and private sectors. You will support and manage a high-performing team of colleagues in a warm, friendly and flexible working environment. The post-holder in this vital position will have a real opportunity to drive and shape our operations.
Central coordination and management of Academy and Campaign operations:
• Member, Supporter and stakeholder management and engagement
• Operational strategic planning and follow-up, backed up by tactical intelligence gathering and market monitoring
• Line management and development of a team comprising Communications Manager, Supporter Relations Officer, Membership Officer and Campaign Manager
• Our high profile event programme, including the Campaign Annual Lecture, Academy President’s Lunch, AGM, Westminster publication launches and conferences and lectures ad hoc
• Attendance and presentation as appropriate at Council, Campaign Board and Committees of the Academy
• Strategic projects ad hoc (e.g. current incumbent has led implementation of new websites for both Academy and Campaign, a CRM, periodic member surveys and analysis, a premises move, etc)
Financial oversight and monitoring of:
• income generation and collection
• expenditure against project and overall budget targets
Oversight of back office operations:
• Human Resources and Recruitment
• Archiving and GDPR
• IT and Information Management, including CRM (ThankQ)
Hours: 28-35, flexible across 4 – 5 days. Core office hours 10.30-4pm Monday-Friday.
Closing Date: 23 October 2017
Interviews and start dates as soon as possible. Please apply as soon as you can as we may contact candidates before the deadline.
Please forward a CV and tailored letter of application detailing your interest in the role and the organisation, as well as experience and skills relevant to the above range of responsibilities, to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have any questions about the role or application process please contact Helen Spriggs on 0207 682 4662.