Date Added: 10 November 2017
: 24 November 2017
Job Title: Press and Communications Officer
Working For: Scottish Liberal Democrats, Scottish Parliament
Salary: £22k - £24k starting depending on experience
The postholder will work in a leading role with the small staff team at Holyrood to ensure that the Scottish Liberal Democrats’ media relations and communications are delivered in a professional manner. This will provide Liberal Democrat MSPs, and to a limited extent the wider Scottish Liberal Democrat party, with communication support. This will involve work as a day-to-day press officer but will also include digital and social media communications, conference and members' communications, and planning support for events and visits.
The post-holder will be expected to demonstrate an ability to understand and promote political positions and policy; they will be expected to build credibility with journalists and commentators; they will be expected to work quickly and accurately under pressure; they should demonstrate an affinity with the aims and values of the Liberal Democrats; and they should have a general understanding of how social media is used in political communication.
1. Timely drafting and distribution of reactive lines to breaking news;
2. Working with other staff to produce pro-active media initiatives;
3. Alerting MSPs, staff and, where appropriate, other senior party figures to significant news stories;
4. Maintaining the news content of the Scottish Liberal Democrat website, and developing digital and social media content;
5. Drafting articles for campaign leaders and MSPs;
6. Planning visits for MSPs away from Parliament;
7. Ensuring that MSPs are fully briefed before media appearances;
8. Providing on-call cover at the weekends and in the evening as part of a rota;
9. Pro-actively seeking slots on broadcast media for campaign leaders and filling broadcasting bids;
10. Developing a professional working relationship with Scottish based political and specialist journalists;
11. Representing the views and outlook of the Scottish Liberal Democrat MSPs - and wider party - to journalists;
12. Maintaining an up to date distribution list for journalists, stakeholders and Liberal Democrats;
13. Working with party staff to support party conferences and other events, including the development of a communications plan and campaign broadcasts;
14. Maintaining an overview and awareness of political and policy developments in Scotland and elsewhere;
15. Other duties as may be required to support the Scottish Liberal Democrats.
Closing Date: 24 November 2017
Interviews are likely to be held in the week of Monday 4th December in Edinburgh.
The position is available for immediate start.
Applications should be received by 4pm.
Applicants should submit a CV along with a covering letter that addresses the expectations contained in the job details. These should preferably be sent by email.
Applications should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org or to Matthew Clark, MG.07, The Scottish Parliament Edinburgh EH99 1SP. This email address can also be used for informal questions or enquiries about the post.