Working closely with members and colleagues across the organisation this role will lead the development of techUK’s policy and advocacy programme covering a wide range of tech and innovation policy issues, including but not limited to: industrial strategy, innovation policy, skills and talent, internet policy, automation and the future of work, internet safety and security, digital ethics and the implications of artificial intelligence.
The role will involve direct engagement with stakeholders at the most senior levels across government and the public and private sectors. The role will involve representing techUK in public fora and the media and requires the ability to build a strong public profile. Success will depend upon having excellent political antennae, a talent for relationship building, and an ability to master the detail whilst maintaining a focus on the big picture.
Working as part of a team of experienced policy professionals this role requires the ability to: work concurrently across a diverse range of issues; to quickly assess and understand detailed policy implications; anticipate risks and opportunities for the sector; have a natural feel for the concerns, interests and motivations of political stakeholders; and build and implement effective engagement campaigns that effect change.
The role sits in the techUK policy team and reports directly to the Deputy CEO. The role will work in close cooperation with policy team colleagues focused on Brexit and trade issues.
1. Excellent written and verbal communications skills
2. Excellent commercial and political awareness
3. Excellent policy judgement
4. Good strategic and tactical awareness
5. Strong interpersonal skills
6. Excellent networking skills
7. Ability to maintain grace under pressure
Essential Knowledge and Experience
- Highly effective policy professional with a proven track record in technology policy from either the private or public sector
- Passionate about the significance and implications for the UK of digital technology
- A clear interest in politics and policy and a good relevant and current political network
- Ability to build strong relationships with key political stakeholders built on a reputation for competence and knowledge
Desired Knowledge and Experience
- Experience working in a dynamic and external facing role
The successful candidate must have right to work in the UK prior to commencement of employment.
To apply please send a CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.