Date Added: 24 November 2017
: 8 December 2017
Job Title: Research and Policy Manager
Working For: The Challenge
Salary: £40,000 per annum
The Challenge’s vision is a more integrated society where there is understanding and appreciation of each other’s differences. We design and deliver programmes that bring different people together to develop their confidence and skills in understanding and connecting with others. We also develop ideas to forge a more socially integrated Britain. During 2014 and 2015, The Challenge convened the Social Integration Commission. Following the Commission’s conclusion, we set up the All Party Parliamentary Group (APPG) on Social Integration, which is chaired by Chuka Umunna MP.
We are looking for outstanding individuals with at least five years of experience of working in policy and research roles and a keen interest and understanding of UK politics, policy debates and social issues.
The Research and Policy Manager will drive The Challenge’s thought leadership work. The successful candidate will work to the Head of Public Affairs, Policy and Research, joining a department which seeks to cultivate a political landscape in which the need for institutions and initiatives bringing together people from different backgrounds to meet, mix and connect is recognised.
The post-holder will:
- Conduct qualitative and quantitative research on social integration issues.
- Produce, commission and edit authoritative research and policy reports.
- Build a compelling and convincing evidence base on the benefits of ‘social mixing’.
- Develop policy recommendations aimed at growing understanding of The Challenge’s theory of change and persuading political and policy stakeholders to prioritise action to boost social integration. This will at times mean working to inject a focus on social integration into existing policy debates on, for example, education and social mobility issues.
- Work with the Head of Public Affairs, Policy and Research to design a research work programme balancing the need to generate findings which are aligned with The Challenge’s organisational mission with those which are politically salient and media-friendly – achieving maximum overall impact against our strategic objectives.
- Manage the delivery of this work programme on a day-to-day basis.
- Draft briefings for internal and external use and responses to consultations.
- Manage partnerships and cultivate positive relationships with relevant academics, think tanks and practitioners.
- Draft research grant applications and pursue external funding opportunities.
- Produce articles, blogs and essays on research insights and policy recommendations.
- Liaise with colleagues across the organisation to incorporate impact data and insights gathered through our programmes within compelling research reports and briefings.
Location: London Waterloo Office.
Status: This is a full-time, permanent role.
Closing Date: 8 December 2017
Start Date: As soon as possible following appointment.
Please send a CV and one-page covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.