Date Added: 28 November 2017
: 22 December 2017
Job Title: Public Affairs Intern
Working For: The Traveller Movement
Salary: £9 per hour (3 days a week)
The Traveller Movement (TM) is a leading national charity promoting inclusion and community engagement with Gypsies, Roma and Travellers. The Traveller Movement seeks to empower and support Gypsy, Roma and Traveller communities to advocate for the full implementation of their human rights.
The charity a strong track record of producing robust and thought-provoking reports and research that have informed and shaped policy relating to Gypsies, Travellers and Roma. TM also campaigns on a wide range of issues such as discrimination, criminal justice, education and health and has brought a number of prominent legal challenges that have shaped policy and practice in these areas.
TM is looking for an intern, who wants to gain first-hand experience in political lobbying, public policy and communications, to join its busy public affairs team for six months.
Tasks will include:
- Political and social research on a wide range of issues
- Drafting briefings for MPs and Peers
- Drafting and proposing Parliamentary Questions
- Tracking relevant political events in Parliament and Government
- Attending meetings with MPs and Peers
- Helping to organise Parliamentary events
- Providing administrative support to the team
- Drafting press releases and helping to respond to media requests
- Social media support
What skills do we want from you?
- A good understanding of the political process and how Parliament operates
- Excellent written and communications skills
- Ability to work to tight deadlines
- Ability to work independently and in a team
- Experience and understanding in digital and social media and how a charity could effectively use them to communicate key messages
- Some experience of research
- Some experience organising events (desirable, not essential)
- A passion for human rights and promoting equality
Closing Date: 22 December 2017
Although there is some flexibility in the starting date, the ideal candidate will be able to start in January 2018.
Interview dates: To be confirmed, but likely in the first two weeks of January.
To apply, please send a CV and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Due to the expected volume of applications, we can only respond to those who are successful.