Date Added: 4 December 2017
: 8 December 2017
Job Title: Case Worker
Working For: Fiona Onasanya MP (Peterborough)
Salary: £19,641 - £27,876
Fiona Onasanya is recruiting a caseworker to support her in the range of issues she is pursuing on behalf of the people of Peterborough. This is a full-time position.
This is an opportunity for people work well in a small team, have a positive attitude and would like to gain experience in a Member’s office.
The Caseworker will provide advice and support to the MP’s constituents on a range of issues, such as finance, housing, welfare (including Universal Credit and benefits), immigration, and health. They will help to solve problems through liaison with government departments, local government agencies and voluntary sector bodies.
Applicants should have a strong desire to help constituents and an awareness of the constituency of Peterborough. An interest in local and national politics as well as an empathetic view towards Labour policies would be beneficial.
Responsibilities will include:
• Attending constituency surgeries and meetings
• Management and progression of a portfolio of casework, including logging cases, proactively taking appropriate action to progress cases promptly, monitoring progress and bringing cases to a successful close
• Analysing patterns of enquiries
• Liaising with government agencies, voluntary sector and other organisations to help resolve cases and signpost individuals
• Gather relevant information to assist with resolving cases
• Reply to correspondence from constituents, e.g. drafting letters, emails and documents
• Retain records and information confidentially and in line with the Data Protection Act
• Maintain, update and develop knowledge of relevant legislation and guidance
• Administrative support for the office
• Excellent IT skills including a casework tracking system, MS Office Applications (i.e. Word, Excel and Outlook), and internet use
• Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills, with a flexible approach
• Ability to draft letters and emails to a high professional standard
• Motivated to work independently and impartially as well as the ability to work well as part of a small team
• Good office administration skills
• An additional language would be seen as advantageous
• Experience of working with confidential information
• Sympathetic to Labour Party ideals
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
Closing Date: 8 December 2017
Interview and start dates are to be decided and are negotiable. Interviews will be held at the Peterborough office.
Please send your CV and covering letter setting out your eligibility for the role, paying particular attention to the necessary skills and responsibilities, to: email@example.com with CASEWORKER APPLICATION as the subject line.