Date Added: 4 December 2017
: 26 January 2018
Job Title: Director of Communications and External Affairs
Working For: Education Policy Institute
Salary: £40k - £50k per annum depending on experience
The Director for Communications and External Affairs will be an integral part of our senior leadership team and will be responsible for setting our strategic vision to ensure that our work is widely distributed, well-understood and, most importantly, has a real impact on education policy. Working closely with our Research Team, the Director for Communications and External Affairs will also help to identify emerging areas of public interest, translate detailed analysis into media and public friendly narrative and provide bespoke communications advice for each of our reports.
We are a small organisation and this role comes with opportunities to work with the Senior Leadership Team to shape the direction and future of EPI. The successful candidate will be supported by a small team and will report to the Executive Director. Because our independence and political neutrality is crucial to us, there are some restrictions on party political activity for permanent members of staff.
Key responsibilities include:
• Raising awareness of research through media coverage, parliamentary references and appearances and government engagement;
• Building relationships with key partners including parliamentarians, journalists, government and other organisations who share our mission to improve educational outcomes;
• Creating and delivering a strategic communications plan for the organisation;
• Overseeing our communications activities, including our social media channels and press notices;
• Identifying new funding opportunities and establishing relationships with potential funders;
• Representing EPI at corporate and parliamentary events;
• Overseeing our programme of high-profile events at party conferences;
• Recognise and act on opportunities to ensure that our research has maximum impact;
• Contributing ideas, challenge and oversight of the organisation as part of the Senior Leadership Team;
• Managing a small team (currently 3 people).
Closing Date: 26 January 2018
Interviews will be held in the first two weeks of February.
Please send a CV and Cover Letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.