Date Added: 7 December 2017
: 29 December 2017
Job Title: Senior Parliamentary Assistant
Working For: Crispin Blunt MP (Reigate)
Salary: In line with IPSA guidelines and DOE. The pay band for Senior Parliamentary Assistant is currently £33,000-£48,913
Crispin Blunt MP is looking for a Senior Parliamentary Assistant to join his office in Westminster.
The successful applicant will manage the Westminster office and support Crispin in all areas of policy and research. The holder of this senior position should have at least two years’ experience in politics or public affairs or a similar role.
The position would suit a well organised individual, educated at least to degree level. Qualities and experience being sought include excellent drafting skills, ability to draft correspondence, speeches, briefings and articles, as well as wider media management capability. Knowledge of current affairs and an understanding of Parliament and Government is essential.
Main duties include:
• Undertake research on varied subjects to support the Member in his carrying out his parliamentary duties.
• Prepare and present briefings both orally and in writing, e.g. for parliamentary questions, briefing notes for policy papers, articles and press releases.
• Liaise closely with All Party Parliamentary Groups secretariats (and other members of staff), particularly for Drug Policy Reform, London’s Green Belt, Humanist Group, and Global LGBT Rights.
• Monitor relevant political, policy and legislative developments and advise the Member on national policy issues and international affairs.
• Oversee the work of the team and liaise closely with constituency-based staff.
• Keep the Member's social media output up-to-date.
• Competent use of IT, including Microsoft Office.
• Ensure records are kept in accordance with Data Protection requirements.
Candidates should have the following skills and qualities:
• Hard-working, reliable and possessing strong organisational skills.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills.
• Good analytical skills and attention to detail.
• Literate in Microsoft Office software, including MS Outlook and MS Word, with the ability to adapt to simple, new software programs.
• Ability to manage and prioritise own workload, with minimum supervision, and to provide support and advice to other members of the team.
• Excellent team working ethic. Absolute discretion.
• Sympathetic to the aims and values of the modern Conservative Party.
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
Closing Date: 29 December 2017
Interviews will be held w/c 8 or 15 January 2018. The successful candidate would be expected to start during February but there is flexibility to accommodate notice periods. An appointment may be made before the closing date if a suitable candidate is found.
Please send your CV and a covering letter outlining your relevant experience and suitability for the role to Andrew Hollingsworth: email@example.com