Date Added: 22 March 2018
: 20 April 2018
Job Title: Speaker’s Parliamentary Placement Scheme: Parliamentary Assistant
Working For: MPs Across All Political Parties
Salary: £10.20 per hour (London Living Wage)
There are 10 positions available with MPs from different political parties. The Scheme is open to people of any age above the legal working age, from all walks of life and every nation and region in the UK. In previous years, successful candidates have ranged from school leavers, to those in their mid-50s, and they moved to London from many different parts of the UK.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The duties on each individual placement will vary depending on the MP office successful candidates are assigned to. Essentially the purpose of the role is to support the administrative functions in a busy MPs office. This will include frequent communication with colleagues and members of the public from taking calls, to responding to written correspondence and dealing with team members face to face. Examples of tasks which you will need to fulfill are:
- Diary management including arranging meetings for MPs, replying to requests
- Undertaking research and writing short briefings (1 page documents on a particular issue in line with the MP’s political aims)
- Taking minutes in meetings
- Drafting letters to constituents, other MPs, Peers, charities, businesses
- Managing MP’s letter, email and telephone correspondence
- Support for events including booking rooms, inviting guests and speakers
- Attending meetings with MPs and Parliamentary Assistants
- Attending training sessions with the House of Commons
- General office administration including, scanning and logging correspondence and filing, answering calls and greeting visitors
We are looking individuals who are:
- Resilient and optimistic
- Reliable and trustworthy
- Passionate about UK politics, with up-to-date knowledge of current affairs
- Passionate about being part of the scheme; we are looking for someone committed to developing their skills and knowledge, who can become an advocate for the scheme.
Location: Portcullis House, Westminster, Central London.
Reports to: MP and in their absence, a member of staff within the MP’s office.
Hours: 37.5 hours/week (some evening work may occasionally be required).
This is a 9 month contract.
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
Closing Date: 20 April 2018
Start date: 1st October 2018
Information on the application process can be found here: http://www.step.org.uk/job/6469/speakers-parliamentary-placement-scheme-parliamentary-assistant/