Date Added: 22 March 2018
: 16 April 2018
Job Title: Policy Manager
Working For: British Ecological Society
Salary: £35,261 pa
We are seeking an enthusiastic and self-motivated individual as maternity cover for our Policy Manager. You will have excellent communication skills to assist the BES in promoting the importance of ecological science to policymakers. This will require a relevant science (e.g. ecology, environmental, biological or natural science) degree or masters. You will be managing two Policy Officers, who are new in post, therefore we are looking for someone with the skills to lead a new team.
Key responsibilities will include:
• Effectively communicate the views of the BES to policymakers through consultation responses, parliamentary briefings, other policy documents and meetings.
• Advise the Society on key areas of policy and prepare and deliver papers as required by the Policy Committee and BES Council.
• Track legislation and policies at the devolved, national and European levels and identify opportunities for BES input.
• Represent the BES and its views at meetings with external partners.
• Implement a range of activities to facilitate communication between the ecological community and policy makers in the administrations and governments of all the countries in the UK (e.g. shadowing schemes, POST Fellows, Policy Fellow, collaborative workshops, meetings etc)
• Produce regular reports on policy developments for BES members, including writing for the BES News and Opinion web pages.
• Provide secretariat support to ad hoc policy advisory groups and the Policy Committee, including arrangement of meetings and production of minutes.
• Work collaboratively with the Policy Committee, and direct the work of Policy Interns and Policy Officers to deliver the BES’s policy strategic aims and objectives.
• Sit on the NCI Steering Group and the CaSE Steering Group for their Policy Officer
• Prepare, manage and monitor the Policy budget.
A full job description and person specification is available on our vacancy pages: https://www.britishecologicalsociety.org/about/vacancies/
This role is also open as a secondment, and must be agreed to by your current employer. Please indicate in your cover letter if you are applying for the role as a secondment opportunity or otherwise.
For an informal discussion about this role, please contact Camilla Morrison-Bell, Policy Manager email@example.com
Closing Date: 16 April 2018
Interview date: 24th April 2018
Expected start date: 4th June 2018
Please submit your CV, and covering letter via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
*Please note change to closing date*