Date Added: 28 March 2018
: 20 April 2018
Job Title: Deputy Editor
Working For: Apolitical
Salary: £28,000 - £35,000
Would you like to guide intelligent and detailed original reporting about the most important questions of the day? Apolitical, which was named one of the most innovative companies in the world this year, is hiring a deputy editor to oversee its seven-strong reporting team and build up its stable of freelancers. Your chief responsibility will be to steer our coverage by developing world-beating stories, helping define what we should be writing about and making every story as excellent as it can be.
What you’ll need
- 4+years’ experience in journalism
- Editing experience
- A good eye for a story and a thorough grounding in how to develop one and stand it up
- The ability to write headlines that grab the reader’s interest
- Excellent close-editing skills
- A good head for organisation: you’ll need to make sure the right things get done at the right times, and that articles come in on deadline
- An interest in public policy and how urgent, complex problems can be tackled
- A mind that can handle narrative storytelling and analytical thought
- Multiple languages is a bonus
- Running editorial meetings where the reporters pitch ideas. Deciding which stories to go with and helping develop them
- Editing the stories the reporters write. You’ll be responsible for making sure the angle is right, that the story has been properly reported, that we have sufficient basis for the things we’re relating, and that the copy is clean and highly readable.
- Driving the quality of our offering ever higher with detailed attention to everything we publishthe ideas for our spotlights, commissioning freelancers to contribute, editing the stories they provide and making sure the whole thing runs on schedule
- Helping understand and plan for new areas of coverage as we add them
What we can offer
- Fascinating work
- Competitive pay
- Opportunities for advancement in a company that actively fosters talent
- The chance to be part of a ground-breaking project using the highest standards of journalism to help make society work a little better
- An opportunity to inform public policy
- The chance to be part of a fast-growing company with very big ambitions
- A working life that surrounds you with talented, committed and influential people
- A supportive, inclusive and friendly working environment
Closing Date: 20 April 2018
Interviews will proceed ASAP and the position may be filled before the closing date.
Please send a CV and cover letter explaining your motivation for applying to the role and why you think you would be a good fit to email@example.com.