Date Added: 5 April 2018
: 30 April 2018
Job Title: Constituency Caseworker
Working For: Afzal Khan MP (Manchester Gorton)
Salary: In line with IPSA guidelines, dependent on experience.
Afzal Khan MP is looking for a part-time caseworker for his constituency office in Manchester Gorton, specialising in policy, campaigns and immigration casework.
You will need to develop a good knowledge of the constituency and the various actions an MP can take to assist his constituents. You will be enthusiastic, confident and empathetic about helping local people. You will also need to understand the remit of and limits on what an MP can do and be able to communicate these sensitively to constituents.
- Deal with & monitor incoming telephone, email and visitor enquiries, respond to emails and letters efficiently and accurately
- Manage own caseload independently, ensuring all cases are logged, updated with any actions taken and outstanding queries are followed up, with urgent cases reported to the Member or Office Manager
- Provide advice and support to constituents on a broad range of issues, such as immigration, housing, welfare benefits, & help to resolve problems through liaison with government agencicies, local council agencies & voluntary sector organisations
- Ensure office records are kept in adherance with the Data Protection Act and respect the confidentiality of data at all times
- Use PRS, independent research, as well as input from the Member to respond to constituents
- Attend advice surgeries and other meetings
The ideal candidate will be highly organized with strong communication skills and a high level of attention to detail.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and high level attention to detail
- Excellent IT skills including Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook
- Excellent organisational & administrative skills with the ability to prioritise tasks & meet tight deadlines in a busy office
- An ability to help constituents in a positive, helpful, sympathetic, sensitive & non-judgemental manner
- At least one-year experience in a similar role
- Experience using Caseworker.mp or similar online casework platforms
- Experience using Parliamentary Research Service (PRS)
- Experience of: managing & progressing casework; handling sensitive issues; working with confidential information; working with people who have mental health difficulties; research
- Existing security clearance
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
Closing Date: 30 April 2018
Interviews will take place as soon as possible and an appointment may be made before the closing date, should a suitable candidate be found. The ideal applicant will be available to start in late April/early May.
Applicants should send their CV with a detailed covering letter setting out how they meet the requirements of the role (single page max) to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Caseworker Application”.
Please note: The role will require some flexibility on working pattern to help cover leave and occasional evenings/Saturdays (by arrangement in advance). Requirement to attend occasional training days in London or other locations. Travel and expenses will be paid. There will be a 3 month probation period, if successful, the contract will be for 12 months.