Date Added: 9 April 2018
: 18 April 2018
Job Title: Media and Parliamentary Assistant
Working For: Rushanara Ali MP (Bethnal Green and Bow)
Salary: In line with IPSA pay scales
The focus of the role will be to support Rushanara’s parliamentary work in the House of Commons whilst working closely with her constituency office. The successful candidate will report directly to Rushanara.
This role requires a highly motivated, dynamic and very organised individual with good political skills. You will need to demonstrate a proven track record of success in dealing with the media and have excellent written and oral communication skills.
• To lead on media and communications strategies
• To draft articles, press releases, speeches, parliamentary questions and briefings to a very high standard and to strict deadlines
• To prepare for debates and questions in the House of Commons
• To maintain an up-to-date knowledge of relevant legislation
• To conduct anticipatory work, carry out research and support Rushanara’s work in Parliament and in her constituency
• To provide timely and accurate parliamentary research
• To proactively engage with national, regional and local media
• To respond effectively and courteously to all initial contacts from the media, constituents, MPs, campaign and pressure groups
• Experience working in politics
• Experience working with the media
• Excellent research and speech writing skills
• A demonstrable interest in UK politics and current affairs
• An ability to work on sensitive issues, with confidentiality
• Knowledge of parliamentary processes
• Strong organisational skills and the ability to work under pressure to tight deadlines
• Excellent communications skills, administrative and IT skills
• Knowledge of the constituency an advantage
• A commitment to the aims and values of the Labour Party
Based in Westminster with some time in the constituency as necessary.
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
Closing Date: 18 April 2018
Shortlisted candidates will be contacted by Friday 20th April 2018
Interviews will take place on Thursday 26th April 2018
Please send your CV (not longer than two pages) with a one page covering letter setting out your suitability for the job to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please make sure to put the job title along with your full name in the subject line.
Please note that due to the expected high volume of responses, unsuccessful applicants will not be contacted.