Date Added: 25 April 2018
: 25 May 2018
Job Title: Parliamentary Assistant
Working For: Roberta Blackman-Woods MP (City of Durham)
Salary: £30,000 – £34,786
Roberta Blackman-Woods MP is looking for a Parliamentary Assistant to work in her busy Westminster office. The successful applicant will be enthusiastic and highly organised with excellent communication skills.
• Support Member in her Shadow Ministerial role for Planning and Local Government
• Facilitate the work of the Planning Commission set up by Roberta
• Analyse, evaluate and interpret data to ensure Member is accurately informed on key issues
• Develop and maintain current knowledge of bills, Early Day Motions, legislation, Hansard, debates etc
• Give advice on policy issues and prepare and present briefing notes for committees, press releases, parliamentary questions etc
• Prepare speeches for Parliament and other relevant occasions
• Monitor e-mails and respond to routine correspondence and enquiries
• Monitoring coverage in the media and managing aspects of the Member’s social media.
• Supervise staff members where appropriate
• Provide general admin support
The ideal candidate will be able to demonstrate:
• At least one year’s experience in Parliament, an agency or other relevant work environment
• Strong written and verbal communication skills
• Some knowledge or understanding of planning and local government issues as relates to Roberta’s brief
• Some knowledge or understanding of Parliamentary business and processes
• Excellent interpersonal skills
• High level of attention to detail, with a clear and concise writing style
• The ability to prioritise a demanding workload, meet deadlines and work under pressure
• Ability to work independently and as part of a small team
• Good level of IT proficiency, particularly MS Office
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
Closing Date: 25 May 2018
Interview date: Monday 18 June
To apply for this position please email your CV and 1 page covering letter to Alex Denvir on email@example.com with a subject heading of "Job Application - Your Name".