Date Added: 30 April 2018
: 20 May 2018
Job Title: Administrative Officer
Working For: Elizabeth Truss MP (South West Norfolk)
Salary: In line with IPSA pay scales.
Elizabeth Truss MP is keen to appoint an Administrative Officer in her Westminster office. This role would suit someone with strong office administration skills, an interest in politics, keen to learn new skills and be a key member of Elizabeth’s team.
The right candidate should be people-focused, have a sense of humour, well-organised, providing constituents with a first-class service. They should also possess excellent written and oral communication skills, take pride in their work and have a good grasp of IT.
Ideally able to start early June 2018, the successful applicant will work 30 hrs per week based in Westminster. Elizabeth represents a rural constituency and an interest and understanding of the local issues, as well as Elizabeth’s campaigns, is desirable. Elizabeth is also Chief Secretary to the Treasury so liaison with Treasury officials will be required.
The ideal candidate would:
- Be conscientious and able to work on own initiative as well as part of the team. Be pro-active and have a flexible ‘can do’ attitude.
- Have an ability to write well, adapting style as necessary and be organised in relation to the operation of the office. An understanding of the handling of confidential and sensitive enquiries.
- Have a good telephone manner and be able to deal patiently and diplomatically with sensitive enquiries.
- Have an interest in politics.
- Have knowledge of Microsoft Word and Outlook.
- All aspects of administration of the office. This will include handling administrative arrangements for meetings with members of the public, tours of parliament.
Ordering office supplies when required, stationary orders, handle incoming calls and enquiries, opening and dispatching mail, photocopying, scanning, filing, record-keeping and typing correspondence including data protection information, providing support to other members of staff when they are on leave or due to illness.
- Ad hoc requests from other staff and occasional research, check member’s ministerial office and liaison with Treasury officials.
- The other key duty is the management of the IPSA expenses scheme for the member’s office. (Training will be provided for the IPSA scheme.)
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
Closing Date: 20 May 2018
Ideally able to start end of May/ early June 2018. May appoint prior to closing date.
Please send a one page covering letter and CV to Fiona.email@example.com outlining why you would be suited to the role. Please include in your covering letter what appeals to you about working in Parliament and working for Elizabeth.