Date Added: 9 May 2018
: 20 May 2018
Job Title: News and Social Media Editor
Working For: RightsInfo
Salary: £27k-£32k per annum dependent on experience and skills
This is an exciting role combining journalism with responsibility for some of the most vital parts of RightsInfo’s public presence, including social media channels and our website. You will lead a range of digital projects, managing our team of volunteer writers as well as producing your own editorial content. You’ll have the freedom to develop ideas and introduce new systems for improving the way we do things. To succeed, you will need to have experience of managing deadlines in a busy news environment.
Please see our website or the recruiterbox link below for a full job description.
Essential skills and experience
- At least 6 years’ journalistic experience (preferably a combination of reporting and editing/commissioning in a newsroom)
- Creating content with a social audience in mind, including video formats and content for different social platforms
- The ability to produce high-quality written content with minimal supervision on Wordpress and a range of social platforms
- A clear and engaging writing style, which is accessible and audience-focused
- A nose for the news cycle - good editorial judgement and the ability to spot stories and manage the news agenda
- Knowledge of media law, compliance and charity commission rules
- Storytelling, with a track record in communicating complex issues simply and effectively
- Demonstrable skill at handling urgent daily work alongside long-term projects
- Experience of incorporating the latest digital trends into your work
- Working within online-focused news - e.g. Buzzfeed, Vice, AJ+, Upworthy.
Desirable skills and experience
- Production of social video
- Knowledge of the UK’s human rights landscape, which could include social welfare issues such as homelessness
- Knowledge of human rights law
- Experience of working in a newsroom
- Experience of working in a digital startup or innovative news agency
- Growing an audience on a social media channel – be that Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube or similar
- Paid social media advertising
Your experience and skills are more important to us than formal academic qualifications, although we would look favourably on people with relevant skills-based qualifications such as a journalism, communications or video degree.
Closing Date: 20 May 2018
Interview and start dates will be agreed with candidates at mutually convenient time. Ideally the right candidate will be able to start as soon as possible / early June 2018.
The application deadline is midnight on Sunday 20th May. Please apply with your CV and Cover Letter via Recruiterbox: https://rightsinfo.recruiterbox.com/jobs/fk01mxj