Date Added: 11 May 2018
: 29 May 2018
Job Title: Policy Assistant
Working For: The Salvation Army
Salary: £9.50 per hour (30 hours per week)
• To work alongside the Public Affairs Adviser (Local Authorities).
• Develop and deliver a programme of visits with local politicians to our front-line work and liaise with the Media Team to ensure appropriate media coverage.
• Support the Public Affairs Unit as they raise awareness of key policy issues that affect our service users by influencing decision makers and opinion formers about local issues.
• Assist with the monitoring of internal and external stakeholders for key policy areas.
• Monitor parliamentary proceedings and government consultations for subjects of interest to The Salvation Army front-line and attend key meetings as requested.
• Track developments in local government and use this to help inform the localism agenda of the Public Affairs Unit.
• Assist with stakeholder analysis and resource development to support lobbying at a local level.
• Support the Public Affairs Unit by conducting policy research on any number of issues which may affect our service users or wider mission.
• Organise meetings at party conferences and assist with preparation for fringe events.
• Assist the Public Affairs Unit in delivering key campaigns.
• Prepare a report related to the contact programme.
We are involved in media, policy and lobbying work. The post holder will be able to liaise with local politicians, front-line personnel and internal stakeholders, have competence in multitasking and will be able to assist with the running of complex events.
Prior work experience for a politician or in a public affairs role would be advantageous.
Please note that this is a part-time position of 30 hours per week for a duration of 6 months.
Closing Date: 29 May 2018
The closing date for applications is midnight on Tuesday 29th May.
Interviews are due to take place on Wednesday 13th June.
Applicants will be asked to complete a short written task to be brought to the interview.
Please send your CV and cover letter highlighting your suitability for the role to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please send your CV and cover letter as separate documents with your full name as part of each filename.