Date Added: 14 May 2018
: 24 May 2018
Job Title: Parliamentary Assistant
Working For: Alison Thewliss MP (Glasgow Central)
Salary: Between £20,420 - £26,000 depending on experience
Alison Thewliss MP is seeking an enthusiastic, experienced member of staff to be based in her Glasgow Constituency Office. The job will require occasional travel to Westminster to support Alison’s work in Parliament. The member of staff will be expected to work closely with the existing staff team in supporting both Alison’s constituency and parliamentary work.
Key Responsibilities will include but are not limited to;
- Develop and maintain knowledge of bills, early Day Motions, legislation, hansard etc
- Assist in the preparation of briefing notes for committees, parliamentary questions etc
- Manage and progress a portfolio of casework appropriately
- Analyse, evaluate and interpret data to ensure the Member is accurately informed on key issues
- Monitor media coverage and brief the Member on relevant issues
- Respond to routine correspondence and enquiries
- Project Management
- Publicise the Member's parliamentary activities on the Member’s website and social media
- Research local, regional and national issues to support Member’s work
- Attend surgeries and meetings as appropriate
- Undertake research, usually from readily available sources
- Give advice on policy issues
The successful candidate will have;
- Extensive understanding of UK and Scottish politics
- Extensive knowledge of UK Parliamentary procedure
- Excellent writing skills
- Experience of having dealt with constituency casework, particularly in complex areas relating to the Home Office and the Department of Work and Pensions
- Experience of web maintenance and design
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
Closing Date: 24 May 2018
Interviews expected to be held on Wednesday 30 May 2018.
Please send a CV and covering letter to Alison.Thewliss.firstname.lastname@example.org. Those shortlisted will be required to complete a relevant task to bring with them to the interview.