Date Added: 6 June 2018
: 17 June 2018
Job Title: Adviser - Policy x2
Working For: Local Government Association
Salary: £44,400 pa (including London Weighting)
Two fixed term positions available - one fixed term position until 31 March 2019 and one fixed term maternity cover
You will use your political awareness, excellent communication and policy-making skills to shape policy and to advocate on behalf of the LGA and its members.
Drawing on the experience of our member councils and fire authorities, you will assess the implications of different policy options and develop proposals that help to support and improve local government, enabling it to deliver the best possible services for local residents.
You will provide support to our boards and members, preparing briefings, papers and speeches.
Our policy team works closely with colleagues in media & public affairs and the LGA’s political group offices, as well as with external partners and central government.
The team provides policy support across the full range of local government services and advisers may be asked to support one or more different policy area. However, we are currently seeking applicants to work on fixed-term contracts focusing primarily on two specific areas:
- Housing, specifically helping ensure national homelessness policy supports councils to deliver locally and fire safety issues arising out of the Hackitt Review of fire safety and building regulations. (12 months fixed term)
- Fire policy, specifically the fire reform agenda and support to our member fire and rescue authorities (up to 12 months)
- Typically, we would expect candidates to have experience that demonstrates a track record of making a difference in a political context.
- Engaging with government and organisations from across the public, private, and voluntary sectors, candidates must have excellent communication skills.
- They will be problem-solvers capable of taking a strategic and forward-thinking approach.
- Working as part of a team, they will be able to prioritise competing demands, delivering to deadlines in an environment that can change rapidly.
- They will have the awareness necessary to operate in a political sector, supporting councillors on a regular basis.
- Knowledge of the specific policy areas referred to above may be an advantage, but is not a necessity for candidates who can demonstrate their ability to quickly grasp new and diverse policy areas.
Closing Date: 17 June 2018
Interview Date: Tuesday 26 June 2018
For further information and to apply online please visit http://jobs.local.gov.uk
Please note the Job Description is generic, with details of the role outlined above.
Before applying for an internal vacancy, LGA employees must have the permission of their current line manager.
The LGA values diversity and encourages applications from all sections of the community.