Date Added: 9 June 2018
: 29 June 2018
Job Title: Constituency Communications Officer
Working For: Angela Rayner MP (Ashton-under-Lyne)
Location: Ashton-under-Lyne, Greater Manchester
Salary: £23,938 - £36,103 (starting salary depending on experience)
Angela Rayner is looking for a Communications Officer to join her constituency team in Ashton-under-Lyne. The successful candidate will be working as part of a small team to promote the work of Angela, interact with the public and establish good relations with the local media, stakeholders and policymakers. You will also be responsible for the Member’s website, ensuring it is kept up to date with regular updates on the activities of the Member.
Main Aims/Outline of the Post
- Work closely with colleagues in the Westminster office to effectively communicate the MP’s work both in Parliament and the constituency.
- Carry out research into local, regional, national and international issues as required and be able to brief Angela on relevant issues.
- Take on specific projects within the constituency.
- Draft press material and organise campaigning activities.
- Work closely with local members of the constituency and liaise confidently with senior officials from both Oldham MBC and Tameside MBC and other key partners.
- Have overall responsibility of the Members’ website and update it on a regular basis.
Responsible to: Angela Rayner MP via Office Manager.
- The ideal candidate should have a proven track record of producing high quality press releases for the media.
- Possess excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Be highly competent in the use of IT, including Microsoft Office, Outlook email, Microsoft Publishing and other software packages.
- Be able to work independently and as part of a team and be able to manage a high level of workload.
- Possess a thorough knowledge, understanding and experience of press-handling techniques.
- Have the ability to empathise with constituents.
- Excellent critical thinking skills and the ability to exercise good judgment and solve problems quickly and effectively.
- Be well organised and good at managing time.
- Sympathetic to the values and aims of the Labour party.
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
Closing Date: 29 June 2018
Interviews to take place on Thursday 19 July (this date may change due to parliamentary business).
Start date to be negotiated to suit both parties.
Please send a CV and covering letter that details how your skills and experience meet the person specification for the vacancy which is listed above in key qualities.
Please send by post to:
Angela Rayner MP, 8 Clarence Arcade, Stamford Street, Ashton-under-Lyne, OL6 7PT
or by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org