Date Added: 6 July 2018
: 16 July 2018
Job Title: Parliamentary Assistant
Working For: Chris Evans MP (Islwyn)
Location: Constituency Office
Salary: In line with IPSA payscales
Chris Evans MP is seeking an enthusiastic, hard-working individual to join his team in his Constituency Office in Islwyn.
This is a full-time position on a fixed term contract for 6 months and would suit a recent graduate or an individual looking to gain valuable political and office-based experience. Some evening and weekend work may be required.
- Undertake research, usually from readily available sources, on straightforward subjects
- Analyse, evaluate and interpret data to ensure the MP is accurately informed on key issues
- Develop and maintain current knowledge of bills, Early Day Motions, legislation, Hansard, debates, etc
- Monitor media coverage and brief the MP on relevant issues
- Ensure the MP is fully briefed on potential questions and motions to be put to the house
- Give advice on policy issues
- Supervise Staff members where appropriate
- Project work
- Progress casework as required
- Project Management
- Respond to routine correspondence and enquires
- Prepare and present briefing notes for committees, press releases, parliamentary questions etc.
- Provide general admin support
- Diary Management
- Excellent organisational and administrative skills with the ability to prioritise tasks and meet tight deadlines
- Excellent writing and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Good working knowledge of British Politics
- Good IT skills including the use of Microsoft Office as well as Wordpress
- Sympathetic to Labour Party values
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
Closing Date: 16 July 2018
Interviews will be held in Chris' Constituency Office on the 24 and 25 July.
Please note that due to the expected high volume of responses, unsuccessful applicants will not be contacted.
The post will ideally start from September 2018.
Please send a CV and a covering letter no more than 300 words, setting out your suitability for the role, to email@example.com with the subject heading ‘Parliamentary Assistant’