Date Added: 6 July 2018
: 6 August 2018
Job Title: Researcher
Working For: Policy Research Unit
Salary: Pay scale £25,000 - £38,000. Salary dependant on experience; please note we are likely to appoint towards the lower end of the pay scale
The Policy Research Unit (PRU) is a pooled research facility for around 290 Conservative MPs. Each researcher specialises in one or more policy areas, producing briefings on Parliamentary business and undertaking correspondence support relating to their subject area. This is your opportunity to work alongside senior politicians and their advisers, forging links in Westminster and beyond.
We are looking for a Researcher. The post would suit a highly organised individual with strong research skills, as well as excellent written, verbal, numerical and IT skills.
• Preparing briefing notes ahead of Parliamentary debates and on a range of policy issues
• Orally briefing MPs and their staff
• Drafting policy-related correspondence replies to constituents
• Providing support for Parliamentary activity, including monitoring bills, early day motions, Hansard, select committees, debates, and Parliamentary Questions
• Excellent written communication
• Strong analytical and research skills
• Good oral communication and networking skills
• Ability to interact comfortably with senior politicians
• Numeracy and an understanding of data and statistics
• Knowledge of Parliament and UK politics
• The ability to work to tight deadlines
• Strong academic credentials
• Experience working in a professional environment
• Parliamentary or similar experience strongly desirable
• A levels or equivalent: ABB (or equivalent), based on your top three grades, excluding General Studies
• Existing documented right to work within the EU
• Degree: 2:1 or equivalent
• Fluent English
• Experience in a policy, parliamentary or relevant business environment is desirable.
You should bear in mind that the PRU’s subscribers are Conservative MPs and must be comfortable supporting them in their Parliamentary duties. Anyone who has made an unsuccessful application to the PRU in the last twelve months should not apply.
Closing Date: 6 August 2018
If you are shortlisted, you will be asked to undertake a three-hour timed assessment remotely as part of the application process, with interviews to follow in London. However, applications will be considered on a rolling basis and we may appoint before the closing date.
Please visit www.pru.org.uk/careers to access the application pack
We actively promote a policy and practice of equality of opportunity in recruitment and employment for all our people - regardless of their age, gender, sexual orientation, ethnicity, faith or physical ability. The Unit is always open to requests for flexible working.
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) for further information.