Date Added: 16 August 2018
: 28 August 2018
Job Title: News And Politics Reporter
Working For: Island Times (Republic Of Palau)
Location: Koror City, Republic of Palau
Charity Number: (Overseas Job, We Pay Local Minimum Wage)
Salary: $1100 p/m (plus free housing)
The Island Times newspaper is the leading, nation-wide print newspaper in the Republic of Palau (Pacific Islands Region), published twice a week. We focus on original, public-interest reporting that is deeply in touch with the community we serve. To expand our team, we are looking to hire a paid full-time news and politics reporter to join our small team here in Koror City.
The successful applicant will be need to be able to:
- Produce self-motivated, independent coverage on all subjects including including politics, crime, business and sports.
- Attend and cover proceedings of the Palauan Senate and House of Delegates, as well as of the Supreme Court and in some cases the Court of Common Pleas.
- Produce investigations focusing on local politics, foreign affairs, corruption and crime
- Ability to assist with InDesign page layout and graphics would be a huge advantage.
Three Top Requirements for successful applicants:
- An academic degree is not required. We are interested in your passion for journalism, not your grades. Passion for compellingly investigative, original journalism is the most important requirement for this position.
- Either prior journalistic experience (track record of published articles on blogs, websites, in local or national newspapers or specialist outlets) or prior journalistic training is extremely important.
- Essential: Either the ability to drive a vehicle in poor and unpaved road conditions - or alternatively - ability to ride a bicycle in off-road or hazardous traffic conditions.
The successful applicant will be paid $US 1100 p/m (net pay) as well as being provided free accomodation (own room in shared house) in line with local standards. Health Insurance is provided. Depending on prior experience, there is a potential for a somewhat higher salary to be negotiated. Airtickets to and from the successful applicant's country of residence to Palau will also be provided free of charge. The successful applicant will be required to fulfill the legal requirements for the issuing of a Republic of Palau work permit.
Applications from all nationalities and backgrounds are welcome.
For detailed further requirements, pay details, and contact information on how to apply please see https://pastebin.com/36SR5w3k PLEASE read full information prior to applying.
You can also visit our newspaper website at www.islandtimes.us
Closing Date: 28 August 2018
Apply before the 28th of August, 1pm Palau time (check the difference). Applications considered on a rolling basis until that date. Interviews for short-listed candidates will be conducted via phone or Skype. Start date flexible.
To apply send a list of previously published articles or stories, a CV and a statement about why you feel you can handle living in Koror to the Island Times via email : firstname.lastname@example.org