Date Added: 11 September 2018
: 30 September 2018
Job Title: Parliamentary Intern
Working For: Chi Onwurah MP (Newcastle upon Tyne Central)
Salary: London Living Wage (£10.20 per hour or £19,890.00 pro rata)
Chi Onwurah, MP for Newcastle upon Tyne Central and Shadow Minister for Industrial Strategy, Science, and Innovation, is looking for a motivated and enthusiastic individual to join the team for 12 weeks as a paid intern in her busy Westminster office.
The successful applicant will possess strong research and communication skills, and a high level of political awareness. They will have a keen interest in Newcastle as well as a good understanding of Chi’s policy interests.
Responsibilities will include:
- Assisting Chi’s Parliamentary Assistant with research and writing tasks;
- Carrying out independent research into policy issues;
- Supporting Chi to draft Parliamentary questions;
- Working on local policy campaigns;
- Monitoring current affairs and opinion pieces in the local and national media;
- Supporting general office administration duties.
- a good understanding of the current political environment;
- awareness of which issues are important to Chi’s constituents;
- knowledge of science, innovation, and industrial strategy;
- basic IT skills including proficiency with Microsoft Word and Excel;
- excellent oral and written communication skills;
- sympathy with the aims and principles of the Labour Party.
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
Closing Date: 30 September 2018
Interviews should be shortly after the closing date. Start date to be negotiated.
To apply, please submit a CV, short covering letter and one page (ie, approx 500-700 words) on one of the following subjects to Matthew Davies at email@example.com:
- What should the aims of a Labour industrial strategy be?
- What are the key strengths and weaknesses of Newcastle’s economy?